Wolfgang is a very talented designer which I plan to work more with this year, though it took some time for me to actually make use of his work, since I was too busy hacking away on TextMate.
All the social gatherings of December was very disruptive on my regular rhythm, which meant I was better off working on the documentation, and that lead to redoing the site, using his template, and boy am I glad I did that!
In this process, I also enhanced the purchase procedure in a rather neat way. If you click “Buy Online” from within TextMate, you are sent to the normal purchase page, but TextMate adds an argument (in addition to your name + email used as default values for the form) which instructs the last page of the purchase procedure to redirect back to TextMate via the custom
txmt URL scheme, giving the owner name and newly bought license key as payload.
The result of this is that you will not have to manually copy and paste the license key which is sent by email. The email is still sent and can be used as a fallback.
A feature that roughly half my new users will experience once, but damn was it worth the time to implement!
Regarding this site, now that it is even less obvious what software I run, here is the list:
- Blog — WordPress
- Hosting — TextDrive
- Mailing List — MailMan
- Manual — Markdown with a custom script written in Ruby
- Wiki — PmWiki
I should add that this site does not look correct in IE, it actually looks like crap. The original template did work, but I changed it to have a somewhat fluid layout, and apparently IE is not as up-to-date with CSS as the browsers we have available on Mac. All the more reason to switch!